Darton Gaming Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darton Gaming Club Forum

A forum for the members of the Darton Gaming Club to interact and socialize online.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Making a Game

Go down 
+4
KampfVerein
Crazy Talk
Onmitsu
TrueIce
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TrueIce
Trash Talker
Trash Talker
TrueIce

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 11:11 am

I believe there was discussion about making a game. What can we do about starting that?
Back to top Go down
Onmitsu
Edge Hogger
Edge Hogger
Onmitsu

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 1:43 pm

You can just simply make pong using notepad on any computer.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 4:15 pm

We could try making a few charachters for MUGEN to start off with. Or we can make a little test RPG in RPG Maker. I'm not too versed in MUGEN but I know pretty much all there is to know about RPG Maker 2003.
Back to top Go down
KampfVerein
Edge Hogger
Edge Hogger
KampfVerein

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 4:28 pm

I second the RPG Maker idea. Always wanted to make an epic with that, but never had the follow-through for it.

Need a script-writer?
Back to top Go down
minionforhire
Creeper Extrordinaire
Creeper Extrordinaire
minionforhire

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 6:25 pm

I think making an RPG would be great. Does anyone have any ideas for what it would be about?
Back to top Go down
KampfVerein
Edge Hogger
Edge Hogger
KampfVerein

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 pm

minionforhire wrote:
I think making an RPG would be great. Does anyone have any ideas for what it would be about?

It could be a chronicle of the club's rise to power. Or it could be about my D&D character, a rogue who rapes enemies with their own severed arms.

Either way is fine by me.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 pm

Well, whatever we do, I know how to do pretty much anything that needs to be done. I even tinkered a bit with the sprites and made custom animations and stuff. I eventually got tired of doing all the work and quit tongue

I had the crappiest idea back when I was making my game (it got deleted like 3 times, damn backups) about like these guys who have to stop the revival of some old force or whatever crap it was, I don't even remember. They end up traveling the world and assembling a set of armor based off the planets, then they fight the "creator" of the world (a crappy excuse to put myself in the game) and in doing so forced their world to cease existing or something.

It was a lot more in depth when I was actually doing it, but I can't remember now.

Oh, and I tried making a game based off of my C.U.U.S. superheroes, and it was actually looking really funny and cool until my computer died. That was the last game I tried to make Crying or Very sad

I tinkered around in 3d game studio for a while, and it seems if we got a good number of people who were knowledgeable in using it we could get some badass stuff going. I could do 3d modeling for it if I learned how to integrate the two.
Back to top Go down
IH
TV Guardian
TV Guardian
IH

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 9:33 pm

I've never heard of RPGmaker... link/explanation from someone? Sounds like a cool idea though. I'd be interested in helping/looking at some form of balance/design for items and such that would be put in.
Back to top Go down
Onmitsu
Edge Hogger
Edge Hogger
Onmitsu

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 9:36 pm

RPGmaker? Was that the one on the original Playstation? I know there was one game like that.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 11:13 pm

RPG Maker 2003 makes games that play about like Earthbound does, except battles are a side view deal instead of a POV thing.

Here's an example of a (crappy) game made in RPG Maker 2003. Just use it as an example of how the battle engine works, not content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QMrSVaqI88&feature=related

Unfortunately RPG Maker is really easy to learn, and that leads to a huge influx of crappy fanfiction games. Pretty much now RPG Maker is labeled as a n00b game maker . And it is. But that doesn't mean we can't use it as a start to get a little practice making things as a team.

If we could one day make something in 3d game studio, that would RULE, or if anyone knows any other game engines we could use that would rock too.
Back to top Go down
GoGoGadget88
Button Masher
Button Masher
GoGoGadget88

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 8:09 am

Personally I think we should make an rpg and use ourselves as the characters (very much like that Jason said). Theoretically we could have attacks and such based on our personalities/interests. I, being a film major, would love to be a magic user with some sort of Lens Flare spell!
Back to top Go down
Desert
Button Masher
Button Masher
Desert

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 4:25 pm

A rpg sound like a great idea, but I had in mind that we were going to make an 2D fighter. Oh no, I can't chose one. Ugh...indecisive, my anti-game. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 9:58 pm

I posted a topic with all the resources you'll need for RPG Maker 2003.

We don't have to do only one game at once. We could try several options and see what we're capable of.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Hey, if you guys want to learn RPG Maker 2003 I could make some tutorial videos and show you guys what's up.

Anyone interested?
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

No takers? Mad
Back to top Go down
KampfVerein
Edge Hogger
Edge Hogger
KampfVerein

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Crazy Talk wrote:
No takers? Mad

I used to dick around in RPG Maker 2003 and XP back in the day, and I'm certainly interested in doing this, but I probably shouldn't so much as touch the project until I've moved to my new residence on Monday.
Back to top Go down
minionforhire
Creeper Extrordinaire
Creeper Extrordinaire
minionforhire

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 pm

Yes, make a video on how to use RPG Maker. I was lost after making one map.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 pm

I'll make it once I get my schoolwork done and get through with my job and all that jazz.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Well, I got the video made, but the POS won't upload to Google Video.

I'll put it on a flash drive and try at the college tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Talk
Admin
Crazy Talk

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Goddamnit, this video is being a little punk bitch and wont upload.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Making a Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Game   Making a Game Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making a Game
Page 1 of 1